Wednesday 14 November 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Tag

The Next Big Thing: Authors Tagging Authors
I’ve been invited by Sarah Louise Smith to join in on The Next Big Thing: Authors Tagging Authors, by tagging me in her own post. Thanks to Sarah, for inviting me to join in!
So, the idea is for me to tell you about one of my forthcoming novels. I have two books being published in early 2013, The Love Programme with Astraea Press and How Do You Spell Love? with Crooked Cat Publishing.
For this blog I’ve chosen to spill the beans on How Do You Spell Love?

What is the Working Title of your Book?
How Do You Spell Love?

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I constantly have loads of ideas, plots and characters whizzing around in my head and this book just evolved out of those ideas. A thought here, a character there, then I had the whole plot outlined and I knew I had to tell the story and write the book.

What genre does your book fall under?
It’s primarily a modern romance but there’s drama, comedy and a bit of magic too.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
There are four main characters in the book, two romances, interlinked, so I’m not sure who I would choose to play each of these characters but I think Patrick Dempsey would be perfect for Alex, the main ‘hero’ in the book.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Ohhh, tricky…   For the one sentence answer I’d probably say something like:
Kat thought she knew what she wanted in life but fate had other ideas…
For the (slight cheat!) longer version I’d go for:
Kat Harper can’t help wishing there was more to life than working part-time at the deli and volunteering in the local charity shop whilst trying to forget about Nathan, the ex-live-in boyfriend. What happened to her dream job? What happened to happily-ever-after with the perfect man?
Summer is wondering where her life is going too… battling to save picturesque Netherton Meadows from the developers whilst juggling the various strands of her life, not to mention hiding the fact that she’s a practising white witch from her disapproving boyfriend Rob and having to cast spells from the secrecy of the shed on her allotment…
When the developers win the battle and move into town everyone’s life is turned upside down.
Whilst reluctantly delivering deli sandwiches to the building site Kat meets project manager Alex – gorgeous, charming, successful – a combination that’s hard to resist even though she keeps telling herself that he’s on the town’s most hated list.
Summer has relationship problems too, with Rob increasingly distant – should she risk performing a Lunar Togetherness spell to put some magic back into their love life? Then she meets Ben who has troubles of his own and Summer wonders where her heart truly lies… 
Within a few months a housing estate is built, lives change forever, hearts are broken, new careers are born and both girls find themselves wondering whether head or heart will rule the day…

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
 It will be published by Crooked Cat Publishing in early 2013.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Probably around four or five months, fitted in around other work committments.  The first ten per cent of a novel is the most difficult to write for me. Once I’ve really got into the book and the characters are coming to life on the page I become a bit obsessed and can’t write fast enough!

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Not sure. I suppose the nearest would be the magical rom coms from Christina Jones.

What inspired you to write this book?
No one particular thing. The idea just grew and grew and become How Do You Spell Love?

What else about your book might pique the readers’ interest?
The book brings together two romances, interlinked, with secrets, mysteries, comedy, life lessons and some slightly more unusual plots including casting magic spells in an allotment shed!

If you’d like a little taster of How Do You Spell Love? you can read the first chapter on my website

Now it’s time for me to tag a fellow Astraea Press author to tell you all about her Next Big Thing:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.