As well as looking pretty and smelling gorgeous the types of flowers you choose to give as gifts or pop in a vase on your dining room table have, according to folklore, secret meanings...
Sending someone the 'wrong' type of flower or a bloom in an appropriate colour was once considered a major faux pas.
****So, if you fancy learning the language of flowers here's a little translation:
* White flowers symbolise protection and purification
* Pink relates to friendship and affection
* Red - not surprising these are associated with passion, sex, lust and love
* Yellow is connected to wisdom
* Orange flowers are linked with success and vitality
* Blue flowers are all about healing and peace
So, that's an idea of colours and their traditional associations, now, let's get specific, with flower types....
* Carnations - energy and healing
* Violet- love and protection
* Daffodil - fertility and love
* Sweet peas - friendship
* Daisy - love (remember making daisy chains and the rhyme about he loves, he loves me not, as you pick off the petals?)
* Rose - love (of course!)
* Larkspur/delphinium - health and protection
* Poppy - luck and prosperity
* Calendula - strength and healing
* Chrysanthemums - protection
Fascinating, don't you think?