Wednesday 10 June 2015

The Author Interview - Sarah Louise Smith

       
   Today I'm delighted to welcome fabulous author Sarah Louise Smith to 'The Author Interview' spot. Sarah has written 4 books and I've adored them all!

Have you always wanted to write?
Yes, I wrote stories as a child… it’s just something that came naturally. I wasn’t very good back then though!

What made you decide to go for it and write your first novel?
I realised how much I loved to write stories, and decided to go for it – but it took many years after that to have the patience and discipline to complete a whole novel as I kept starting and never finishing.

What inspired the plot and characters of your first novel?
Amy & Zach was crafted from a series of ideas and inspiration, formed together to make a novel. So much chick lit is the female voice, so I really wanted to write it half and half, telling the man’s viewpoint too.
  
What’s the best piece of writing advice you’ve received?
To keep writing. Don’t stop, just write, write, write.

How long does it take you to write the first draft of a novel?
About 5 months. I won’t write for two weeks, then have an intense day, then won’t write for another two weeks, so the number of days is actually quite short…

Do you plan your plots in detail or let the story evolve as you write?
I start off just writing, but after about 25% is written I write a plot to keep me on track and ensure I have enough points covered, etc. I often change the ending when I get to it though so don’t always stick to my plan!

What was your journey to publication?
I got a few rejections but was determined not to give up. I wasn’t confident enough to self-publish so looked around for smaller publishers that may be more willing to take on a new author – and then I found Crooked Cat.

What’s the most unusual thing you’ve researched in order to use it in the storyline in one of your novels?
I don’t research too much; but perhaps circumcision! There’s a mention in Amy & Zach – which makes it sound quite erotic, but it’s not! ;)

Who is your favourite character from all of your novels and why?
I like Izzy from Izzy’s Cold Feet, although I’m not sure why. I like Ellen from my new book The Truth About Ellen too; probably because she’s a bit like me!

What genre /authors do you like to read?
I mostly read chick lit; I’m looking for fun, light, romance, humour in my reading. I’ve particularly enjoyed your books Zanna! And I also enjoy Paige Toon, Lindsey Kelk, Marian Keyes…

Are the locations in our novels based on real life places you’ve visited?
Yes, my last holiday destination usually features! I’d find it hard to write about a place I’d never visited…

Are you a kindle reader or paperbacks?
Kindle. I never thought I’d make the switch but I find my Kindle so easy to hold, and so many books are stored on it waiting for me; it’s just easier these days.

Sarah's latest book has just been published:



The Truth About Ellen

It’s every girl’s dream to date a pop star...

When Ellen starts dating Tom, a member of the band she adored as a teenager, she can’t believe how lucky she is.

She neglects to mention that she's a huge fan because that just wouldn’t be cool, would it?

Ellen also keeps quiet about how she once spent an evening with Tom’s ex-bandmate/ex-best friend Jasper, her long-term celebrity crush. Tom doesn’t need to know about that, it’s all in the past.

That is until Tom and Jasper get back in touch… and the truth threatens to ruin everything Ellen has ever dreamed of...

The Truth About Ellen is available to buy from:



Other books by Sarah Louise:


Amy & Zach

Amy has moved to the US in order to find her real father, but she hasn’t quite worked up the courage to do so yet.
Then she met Zach, who swept her off her feet. They fell in love, fast. But Zach has a secret with the potential to ruin everything.
As Amy prepares to return to England for her sister Libby’s wedding, Zach drops a bombshell. Amy is furious, so she hides his passport and flies alone. But Zach’s secret isn’t her only worry. She will see Tim again – her sister’s fiancĂ©.
After he finds his passport, Zach heads to the UK to surprise Amy. He wants to apologise and finally meet her family. He knows he has a lot of explaining to do. But just what will he face?
Amy & Zach take it in turns to share their tale with you. They will reveal all, and may surprise you, in the end... 




Izzy’s Cold Feet

One bride to be. Three ex-boyfriends.
Izzy is engaged to Greg, who is everything a girl could want.
The trouble is – all she can think about is the men she loved before she met him: sexy Ewan, the first love of her life; dependable Jason, who loved her more than she deserved; and irresistible Dexter, who broke her heart…
Then there’s the fact that her sister has been missing since Izzy was twelve. After such a traumatic childhood all Izzy wants is a normal, happy, settled life, but love is never simple.
In the week leading up to her wedding day, Izzy is forced to ask herself who she loves the most. And, given the choice, who would she want to spend her life with?

Independent Jenny

“I slept with someone else.”
Those five words changed everything.
After her husband Ross drops a bombshell, Jenny’s emotions go hay-wire. Things are made even more complex when his brother Aiden makes a confession of his own…
A holiday escape with her friend Hayley seems the perfect way to figure out what – and who – she wants. But Hayley has a hidden motive that results in Jenny spending time with her ex-boyfriend Will, who is now married.
Should Jenny forgive Ross? Can she ignore her feelings for romantic Aiden? And why can’t she get Will out of her head?
One thing is for sure: Jenny doesn’t want to be alone. Surely any man is better than no man, right?




About Sarah Louise Smith

Sarah Louise Smith lives in Milton Keynes, England with her husband, step-daughter, loopy golden retriever and cheeky tortie cat.

Sarah has been writing stories since she can remember and has so far completed four chick-lit novels, all published by Crooked Cat:
Amy & Zach
Izzy’s Cold Feet
Independent Jenny
The Truth About Ellen

Connect with Sarah:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.