Monday 25 February 2013

Guest Blog Spot With Author Kim Walker

Why do we write?

There are probably as many answers to that question as there are authors.

Recently, a teenage readers’ group who read my novel, Once Removed, interviewed me on Two Valleys Radio. http://www.twovalleysradio.co.uk/listenagain/two-valleys-book-club-kb-walker/ 

It was wonderful to meet actual readers and they asked some very interesting questions. I just wish I were quicker on my “feet” because there are loads of things I wish I’d said and asked.

Once Removed is the story of a young teacher who risks everything to help a pupil she suspects is self-harming. The woman who brought the book group to the studio, told me she read excerpts to her form, which sparked amazing discussions about self-harm, bullying and pupil teacher relationships. She said she was surprised by the very different responses there were between the adults and teens to the story. Unfortunately, there wasn’t time to ask her for more details about those differences but it came out in one of the questions.

“Why do you think we were more shocked by the events in the book then the adults who read it?”

One of the girls later shared her horror. “Things like that shouldn’t happen.”

She’s right, of course, and it helped me realise that I’d written the book firstly for myself, to find a way to understand my own bafflement and distress that someone near me might be suffering so much in secret. As an author, I’m delighted that my book has inspired these discussions.

Once Removed
A silent cry for help…

Suspecting self-harm, newly qualified teacher, Abriella Garside, risks everything for a troubled pupil. An incident with a craft knife and unexplained injuries are not enough to secure help for the girl.

Unsure whether Beth is being bulied or has problems at home, Abby tries to win her trust and the two begin a friendship. But has the teacher gone too far?

In the midst of Abby’s own complicated life, Beth diappears. Rumour and suspicion ignite, fanned into an inferno with Abby at its heart.

Two lives hang in the balance.

Available in e-book or paperback versions from:



1 comment:

  1. That was a great opportunity to have been on the radio, Kim. I'd have been too tongue tied to say all I wanted to as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.